How to recover Popcorn Hour VTEN from firmware update failure with fail-safe kernel?
Follow these instructions to recover the Popcorn Hour VTEN if the firmware update fails.
This method is only applicable for the Popcorn Hour VTEN.
1. Download the following zip file:
2. Unzipping the archieve to recovery-image.bin
2. Copy recovery-image.bin file into the root of a USB thumbdrive (must be format to FAT32 or NTFS file system only).
3. Connect the Popcorn Hour VTEN to a TV through the HDMI output.
4. Power up the Popcorn Hour VTEN.
5. HDMI video will display blue background with "Firmware recovery. Please insert USB"
6. Plug the USB thumbdrive into the Popcorn Hour VTEN USB port to start the recovery process.
7. After successful recovery, power cycle will bring it up again to 01-04-151104-25-POP-427-800 firmware.
If steps 1 - 7 stated above fail, follow these instructions:
A. Power down the Popcorn Hour VTEN.
B. Insert a jumper as shown below
C. Plug the same HDMI cable into the Popcorn Hour VTEN and TV. If this cable has not been removed since you followed steps 1-7, just leave it plugged in.
D. Power up the Popcorn Hour VTEN
E. Remove the jumper when Popcorn Hour logo just appear on screen. Later, you will see HDMI video display blue background with "Updating Firmware. Please insert USB"
F. Follow steps number 6-7 above.
G. After the update process completed, power down the unit when the screen showing a message "rebooting in 10 seconds"
H. Remove USB thumbdrive.
I. Your Popcorn Hour will is now using 01-04-151104-25-POP-427-800 firmware.
J. Plug in desired connectors (HDMI, Network, Optical, etc.) and pat yourself on the back for successfully fixing your Popcorn Hour VTEN.
Note: If firmware update stuck at "Formatting" stage for more than 1 minute, try reboot the device and perform the recovery again WITHOUT jumper now.