How to recover Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro from firmware update failure?
Follow these instructions to recover the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro if the firmware update fails.
This method is only applicable for the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro.
1. Download the following zip file:
2. Unzipping the archive to recovery-image.bin
2. Copy recovery-image.bin file into the root of a USB thumbdrive (must be format to FAT32 or NTFS file system only).
3. Connect the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro to a TV through the HDMI output.
4. Power up the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro.
5. HDMI video will display blue background with "Firmware recovery. Please insert USB"
6. Plug the USB thumbdrive into the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro USB port to start the recovery process.
7. After successful recovery, power cycle will bring it up again to 01-01-160503-25-POP-430-800 firmware.
If steps 1 - 7 stated above fail, follow these instructions:
A. Power down the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro.
B. Insert a jumper as shown below
C. Plug the same HDMI cable into the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro and TV. If this cable has not been removed since you followed steps 1-7, just leave it plugged in.
D. Power up the Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro
E. Remove the jumper when A-500 PRO logo just appear on screen. Later, you will see HDMI video display blue background with "Updating Firmware. Please insert USB"
F. Follow steps number 6-7 above.
G. After the update process completed, power down the unit when the screen showing a message "rebooting in 10 seconds"
H. Remove USB thumbdrive.
I. Your Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro will is now using 01-01-160503-25-POP-430-800 firmware.
J. Plug in desired connectors (HDMI, Network, Optical, etc.) and pat yourself on the back for successfully fixing your Popcorn Hour A-500 Pro.
Note: If firmware update stuck at "Formatting" stage for more than 1 minute, try reboot the device and perform the recovery again WITHOUT jumper now.