How to recover Popcorn Hour A-400 from firmware update failure with fail-safe kernel?
Follow these instructions to recover the Popcorn Hour A-400 if the firmware update fails.
This method is only applicable for the Popcorn Hour A-400.
1. Download the following zip file: http://files.syabas.com/popcornhour/firmware/a400/05-01-121025-24-POP-422-000.zip
2. After unzipping the archieve, please rename a400-update.bin to recovery-image.bin
2. Copy recovery-image.bin file into the root of a USB thumbdrive (must be format to FAT32 or NTFS file system only).
3. Connect the Popcorn Hour A-400 to a TV through the Component or Composite or HDMI outputs.
4. Power up the Popcorn Hour A-400.
5. Component or Composite or HDMI video will display blue background with "Firmware recovery. Please insert USB"
6. Plug the USB thumbdrive into the Popcorn Hour A-400 USB port to start the recovery process.
7. After successful recovery, power cycle will bring it up again to 05-01-121025-24-POP-422-000 firmware.
If steps 1 - 7 stated above fail, follow these instructions:
A. Power down the Popcorn Hour A-400.
B. Insert a jumper on uart0 (see files.syabas.com/popcornhour/download/A400jumper.jpg for exact location)
C. Plug the same USB thumbdrive with the same bin files into the Popcorn Hour A-400 USB port and the same component or composite or HDMI cables into the Popcorn Hour A-400 and TV. If these cables have not been removed since you followed steps 1-7, just leave them plugged in.
D. Power up the Popcorn Hour A-400
E. Follow steps number 5-7 above.
F. After the update process completed, power down the unit when the screen showing a message "rebooting in 10 seconds"
G. Remove the jumper.
H. Remove USB thumbdrive, component and/or composite cables.
I. Your Popcorn Hour will is now using 05-01-121025-24-POP-422-000 firmware.
J. Plug in desired connectors (HDMI, Component, Network, optical, etc.) and pat yourself on the back for successfully fixing your Popcorn Hour A-400.